Ever wonder how to make a homemade honey mustard sauce? It’s so easy with only four ingredients and 5 minutes! This honey mustard can be used as a dipping sauce, salad dressing, sandwich spread, or even a marinade.
You probably already have everything you need to make this easy recipe. A little mayonnaise, mustard, honey, and vinegar and you’ve got yourself a homemade, better than chick-fil-a honey mustard sauce!
I love that this version doesn’t have any preservatives or additives, like many store-bought or fast food honey mustards.
It stays good in the fridge for weeks, and you can use any kind of mustard you want!
How to make homemade honey mustard sauce
Just whisk some mayonnaise, mustard, honey, and apple cider vinegar together in a small bowl. That’s it!
You could also mix it right up in a jar, to save on dishes, and store the covered jar right in your fridge.
How to make thick honey mustard
At room temperature, this honey mustard recipe is more like a dressing, which makes it great for drizzling on salads.
If you want to thicken the sauce, just stick it in the refrigerator for a while. The honey will thicken in cooler temperatures, making the sauce better for dipping or spreading on sandwiches.
For a REALLY thick honey mustard sauce, I recommend refrigerating AND adding a tablespoon or two more honey (this will also make it sweeter), and/or using less vinegar (which adds a great tang but thins it out).
How to store it
Keep the honey mustard dressing in an airtight container or jar in the fridge. It will last 2-3 weeks! You might need to stir it up a bit before serving if it’s been sitting a long while, as the ingredients may separate a bit.
- Use any kind of mustard, or combination of mustards, you want. I used yellow, but you can use dijon, spicy brown mustard, whole grain mustard, etc.
- If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, use lemon juice or another vinegar like rice, red wine, or white vinegar instead.
Other dipping sauce/dressing recipes
- Easy Dill Dip
- Five-Minute Avocado Sauce
- Homemade Salsa
- Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Creamy Maple Balsamic Dressing
- Miso Sesame Ginger Dressing
What to serve with homemade honey mustard sauce
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- Oven-Fried Chicken Tenders
- Paleo / gluten-free chicken tenders
- Oven-Fried Catfish
- Homemade Gluten-Free Fish Sticks
- Crispy Oven-Baked French Fries
- Homemade Potato Chips
See all my homemade sauce and condiment recipes here.
Did you know commenting and rating recipes is one of the best ways you can support your favorite food bloggers? If you made this honey mustard dressing/sauce, please click the stars below to comment and Rate this Recipe
Homemade Honey Mustard Sauce / Dressing
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl or jar.
- Serve with chicken nuggets, on sandwiches, or drizzled on salads, or use as a marinade.
- Storage: this homemade honey mustard sauce will stay good in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
- At room temperature, this sauce is relatively thin (which makes it great for salad dressing or marinade). For a thicker sauce, refrigerate for an hour or so before serving. For a REALLY thick (and also sweeter) sauce, add more honey and use only 1/4 teaspoon of vinegar.
- To make it paleo, make sure to use paleo-compliant or homemade mayonnaise.
- If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use lemon juice, or another vinegar like rice, red wine, or white.